Quotes I like:

“Not all those who wander are lost.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

STORAGE WARS


Given the number of storage facilities cropping up around town, I know I am not alone in needing extra space to store my precious items, ie: 'junk'. Unfortunately, the neat, orderly array of such items has quickly devolved into a huge jumble of boxes, bicycle, tubs of off season clothes, furniture and haphazard items, many of which I wonder why I am keeping at all. The other day I had to go into the storage space to find something and was reminded of the closing scene from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (see above). I climbed over things, on top of  things and dug around under things and still couldn't find what I was looking for.  I began to feel like I was looking for the lost Ark in the huge government warehouse.

I wonder what our propensity is for keeping things we don't really need or use but cannot part with. I have often heard others lament that they "just know if they throw it away, they will need it the next day".  UnfortunatelyI have such items that I have not used in several years, yet am certain I cannot live without.  Some of these include shoes I can no longer wear but have such wonderful memories attached I hang on to them. Sigh, the lost days of the stilleto heels. 

Of course, there is always the chance that I will become so famous the Smithsonian will one day pay my children huge sums for all my old crap to be displayed in their museum. Yeah, right.

But then, if everyone constantly threw away old stuff, where would museums be?

I have been able to pretty much downsize my life and stuff in the past few years, but somehow things still accumulate.  If you haven't seen it, I recommend the wonderful George Carlin's take on "stuff":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac&feature=player_detailpage

We really have to all just remember: "It's just STUFF!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment